Thursday, October 11, 2012

Olive's transition

After a rough start in her new home "Oh my dog? What's happened to me and why am I in a brand new place?" Olive decided maybe her brother dog Zoo (who was once frightfully insecure himself) was right when he whispered, "Don't sweat it Olive. This place is great."

First report:
I thought I would drop you a line to let you know how Olive is handling the kidnapping!
I am just sure this is what she thinks happened. She was a nervous wreck when we first got her out of the car. We had to leave the leash on her for several hours so we could get her to move around with us. When she was in the yard she kept running to the gate or the car. Finally around 6 she started to get hungry, so I made the pet crew dinner. She ate about 1/2 her food and then claimed her space on a couch. After she had this space, she started to calm down. 

We had dinner guest, so Olive got to meet our friend Peggy. It was good that Peggy came over because we were focused on talking and eating dinner, which gave Olive time to calm down. She did come over to meet Peggy and even let Peg pet her. After Peg left, Olive ate the rest of her dinner and I took her outside for a walk. At bedtime, she chose to sleep on the couch (with one eye open). 

Oh, as I was cleaning up after dinner, I asked her to twirl. She did a very slow circle, but she twirled.


Karen's most recent update:
Olive found her play mode, and we had lots of fun with her toys. She was grinning and being silly. This morning after our walk she was being goofy, and it was very hard for me to walk out the door. I wanted to stay home and play. I just check-in with Larry and all is well for everyone.

Sorry I forget to mention that Zoo changed as soon as be put Olive in the car with us. He really likes her. Last night's walk was with the three of us, and he volunteered to go. What a difference.


5 comments:

  1. Awwww warms my heart! So incredibly happy for Olive. And I LOVE the picture...their little tongues sticking out, waiting patiently for their yummy treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that Olive is settling in and that she has a family that is committed to making it work for a nervous girl! Thanks to her new family for sending updates, too--I always love hearing out the adopted dogs are doing and I had a serious soft spot for Miss Olive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to post my own sentiments but you expressed them perfectly! :) I am so so so happy sweet Olive has a committed family ready to help her navigate the world.

      Delete
  3. So glad to hear that you are doing well Olive. Sounds like a great fit. You are one big happy family, human and animal. Thanks for the update with great pictures and thanks, as always, to all the people that helped Olive along the way. Such compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Miss Olive, just remember one day at a time! I'm so happy for you girlfriend!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, questions and feedback!